The environmental attorneys at Reid and Riege represent our clients in administrative enforcement hearings, permitting procedures, arbitration, mediation, and state and federal court litigation, including appellate work. Our clients include large publicly-held petroleum companies, mid-size manufacturers, investors and lenders, regional railroad companies, commercial developers, and individual property owners.
Our environmental attorneys have experience in the areas of land use and redevelopment, leaking underground storage tanks, remediation of contaminated soil and groundwater, stormwater discharges, air emissions, and construction and demolition releases of asbestos, lead paint and PCBs.
The attorneys of the Environmental practice draw on lessons learned from hundreds of transactions to work with clients and consultants to fashion effective and practical solutions to environmental problems. We guide the redevelopment of brownfield properties and the purchases and sales of manufacturing facilities, gas stations, and rail facilities.
We also assist our clients and other counsel with the Connecticut Transfer Act, due diligence, insurance coverage, state and federal grants and loans, permit applications and transfers, and complex indemnification, remediation and environmental escrow agreements.
- Defended and negotiated favorable resolutions of hazardous waste enforcement actions brought by the federal Environmental Protection Agency and state environmental agencies against in-state and multi-state manufacturing operations.
- Successfully represented the interests of an intervenor to a Connecticut Siting Council hearing concerning an application to construct a large gas-fired power plant.
- Successfully defended the owner of a large office tower against claims by the state departments of health and environmental protection that renovation activities violated asbestos regulations.
- Filed and negotiated the favorable resolution of actions under the Connecticut Environmental Policy Act and the Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Act.
- Successfully negotiated a settlement of citizen suit Clean Water Act claims filed against scrap yard operators.
- Represented a national wireless carrier in the review of environmental reports for over 200 new cell tower locations.
- Represented a large publicly-traded petroleum company in the acquisition and sale of over $150 million of retail gasoline and convenience store locations, and the leasing of such locations.
- Assisted a nonprofit client with the acquisition of a brownfield site, including obtaining state grants and low-interest loans for the investigation and remediation of contamination.